Website Panama City Symphony Orchestra
The Panama City Symphony Orchestra Music Director Search Committee invites nominations and applications for the position of Music Director, available beginning in the 2022-23 season.
The Music Director reports to the Panama City Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors and is responsible for carrying out the artistic mission of the orchestra.
The Music Director oversees the repertoire, programming, and artistic production of at least four (4) regular season concerts and two (2) holiday concerts. He/She/They direct the audition process including recruitment and selection of orchestra members and rehearses and conducts the orchestra.
As the orchestra’s artistic leader, the Music Director works with the PCSO Board to build and sustain the orchestra’s visibility and involvement in the community.
The Music Director is expected to work closely with the PCSO Board President and administrative staff in carrying out these responsibilities, and will also play a role in the orchestra’s fundraising and other development activities.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- excellent musicianship and conducting skills;
- knowledge of a broad range of repertoire, with the ability to create dynamic classical and popular music programs, select compelling guest artists, and collaborate artistically with the orchestra’s musicians;
- the knowledge and commitment to enthusiastically deliver PCSO’s music education and outreach programs;
- strong leadership and interpersonal skills to connect with donors, sponsors, and government officials to represent the vision and value of the orchestra as a strategic part of the region’s artistic and economic development;
- the ability to partner with PCSO’s leadership to actively participate and elevate PCSO’s marketing, promotional, and development activities; and
- the passion and creativity to develop and lead performances that resonate with existing patrons and attract diverse new audiences.
Previous or current music directorship or comparable experience is preferred. Emerging talent with artistic vision and examples of their commitment to orchestra growth and development will be thoughtfully considered.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
A complete application will include the following:
- a personal letter of interest in the position as PCSO Music Director and your vision for the continued growth of the orchestra as a cultural centerpiece of Bay County
- a resume or curriculum vitae
- sample programs previously conducted and/or proposed
- video links to YouTube with three (3) examples of your recent conducting work in a variety of music styles and from multiple genres
- the names, emails, and phone numbers of at least three (3) professional references
Please send complete application materials to the email address in the contact information section below.
If needed, materials may be mailed to: Panama City Symphony Orchestra, P.O. Box 744, Panama City, FL 32402
All materials must be received by June 30, 2022.