Website Theatre Royal Plymouth
Shows and production processes: in conjunction with the TSMs facilitate the smooth running of all performances and production work. To have particular responsibility for the safe operation of the TRP single-purchase, counterweight flying system and to provide leadership and organization of fly floor teams for shows, fit ups and get outs.
Premises, equipment: responsibility for the maintenance, improvement and good housekeeping of areas and equipment to high standards under LOLER and other health and safety legislation.
Inspections: In conjunction with the TSMs to co-ordinate and facilitate insurance and safety inspections for all TRP lifting equipment.
Personnel: the development of flymen/stage staff through recruitment, mentoring, training and appraisal.
Budgetary: to deliver technical projects within budgets as agreed with managers.
To collaborate with the TSMs in developing and implementing departmental policy.
To deputize for the TSMs in running stage teams across all TRP’s stages and at our Production and Learning Centre, TR2.
- To participate in get ins and get outs of productions in house, co-produced and of visiting companies as required, contributing to the safe and efficient operation of stage and flying equipment within current theatre practice.
- To be involved in show running with a particular focus on effective running of the fly floor to provide a high and consistent level of show flying.
- To provide duty technical management as required.
- To deputize for the TSMs in all stage department operations.
- To carry out general maintenance within the department to ensure high performance standards, in particular managing maintenance, repairs and improvements to flying and rigging equipment.
- To contribute regularly to technical staff meetings
- To assist in the forward planning of technical activities in venues within TRP, in conjunction with relevant managers.
- To be involved in learning and self-development opportunities including Engagement and Learning activities, support of Apprentice schemes and training courses as appropriate.
- Any other reasonable duties as may be requested from time to time including cross-venue working, support of toured work externally, and courses or reconnaissance work outside of Plymouth
- To be aware of the Health and Safety policies of the company and ensure compliance with all relevant legislation in areas of control.
- To work within, and support others to work within, the behaviours aligned with TRP’s values-based system built on Quality, Collaboration, Creativity and Diversity.
It is expected the post holder will live in Plymouth or the surrounding area.
The Head of Flys will be expected to undertake some overtime to help facilitate the demands of busy periods of TRPs programming as required.
We’re here to talk! We’re available to speak to you before you make your application so, if you’re not quite sure if your skills match the role, want to talk about how flexible working could support you, or just check any of the details in this document, please do email us on email@example.com with subject line ‘Head of Flys’ to arrange a chat.
Closing date: 25th June 2021