Utah Symphony, Utah Opera
- Job ID: 56550677
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Position Title: Director of Communications
- Company Name: Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
- Job Function: Director of Marketing
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Duration: Indefinite
- Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
- Min Experience: 3-5 Years
- Required Travel: None
- Salary: $55,000.00 – $65,000.00 (Yearly Salary)
As Director of Communications, you will combine your expertise in communication and storytelling with your passion for orchestral music, opera, and music education to showcase USUO’s programs and build enthusiastic audiences for its art forms. In the coming seasons, you will lead publicity for the conclusion of Utah Symphony’s current Music Director’s tenure and introduce a new Music Director to the community. For Utah Opera, you will introduce new productions and operas to the community as the company continues to expand the repertoire. You will help us invite the full community to experience the music we create, keep our programs and events at the forefront of local news awareness, and raise the profile of USUO locally, nationally, and internationally.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop long- and short-term strategic communications plans to direct the public narrative of USUO and help shape its reputation and brand.
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the company. Be an informed community advocate for orchestral music, opera, and music education.
- Generate earned media by developing and implementing publicity plans, writing and distributing press releases, hosting press events, and pitching story ideas to reporters.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local and national media contacts.
- Supervise press ticketing, photographers, videographers, and all media access at rehearsals, performances and other events.
- Promote, develop, solicit, screen and facilitate media requests for interviews.
- Draft letters and speeches for the CEO, board chair, or artist leadership, as needed.
- Develop and maintain message points and USUO’s press kit, including photography, fact sheets, b-roll and FAQs.
- Provide media training and coaching for staff and musicians.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports of publicity plans and outcomes.
- Set USUO’s social media and content strategy in collaboration with members of the marketing department.
- Collaborate to extend publicity efforts through USUO’s communication channels, such as email, social media and the website.
- Write articles for USUO’s website and program as an internal reporter for the company.
- Proof and/or edit all communication materials, including marketing materials.
- Be available for typical workday assignments and present at rehearsals and evening/weekend performances.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum five years of practical experience working in public relations.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Understanding of media relations and social media marketing strategy.
- Superior writing, proofreading, and public speaking skills. Ability to write in a journalistic style that is customary for press releases and publications.
- Outstanding organizational skills with an attention to detail, strong project management experience, and superior interpersonal and management skills.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms and reporting tools.
- Ability to coordinate across departments and communication channels to create a coherent message.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Teams.
- Must be available regularly to work and attend evening and weekend events and performances.
- Knowledge of and excitement for orchestral music and opera.