Alnwick Playhouse requires a dynamic and experienced Artistic Director/Chief Executive to take up post and work strategically with the Board of Trustees of Alnwick District Playhouse Trust (ADPT).
You would be building on strong foundations and join us at an exciting new phase in the history of the Playhouse in which a new leader can develop strategy and vision for the Playhouse and the role itself.
The Playhouse in Alnwick is firmly established as one of the leading small scale venues and cultural hubs in Northumberland with a diverse range of artistic activity attracting the best international and national artists from music, drama, dance and film to non-professional shows put on by local community groups which attracts over 55,000 visitors per annum.
The Playhouse boasts a fully refurbished and re-raked 262 seat auditorium, professional white box Gallery Space and Studio Hub, with an improved café space and beautifully refurbished Playhouse Bar. The venue is run by the charitable organisation Alnwick District Playhouse Trust (ADPT) and recently the building was fully restored and repaired to the highest of standards following a £3.2m re-development. The Playhouse is now joined by Northumberland County Council Library and Visitor Information which places this well-loved arts-centre at the heart of the community.
The role involves responsibilities over three areas.
- Providing strong and inspirational leadership to enable ADPT to achieve its artistic objectives within a changing cultural and commercial environment. To develop and implement a diverse, well planned and high-quality rolling programme of professional and community-generated arts events and activities, both at ADPT and outreach.
- To seek out, commission and support emerging and established arts organisations and individual artists, ensuring a high standard of new and commissioned works and supporting the development of relevant skills.
- To build and maintain positive relationships with local authorities and Arts Council England in the planning and delivery of strategies for the development of the arts that are capable of achieving significant impacts at a regional level.
- To build and maintain other effective collaborations, partnerships and networks in furtherance of ADPT’s artistic objectives. To ensure that effective artists’ contractual agreements and obligations are in place and that they adequately protect the interests of the company.
Strategic and Business Development
- To work with the Board of Trustees on the next phase of strategic planning for the Playhouse which shall involve making decisions on allocating its resources, identifying effective collaborations and partnerships, including productive relationships with funders, in order to support the new vision.
- To further develop strategy for fundraising and marketing, diversifying sources of income and achieving relevant funding targets.
- To identify, broker and negotiate the terms of grants and other funding agreements and develop the widest possible engagement in ADPT’s work, to champion the organisation’s commitment to accessibility and affordability.
- To build and maintain a prominent and positive public profile for ADPT, including representation of the organisation at external events and in the media.
- To maintain a positive, open and responsive working environment and cultural ethos at Alnwick Playhouse, conducive to the development of new work and the attainment of high standards of artistic endeavour.
- To have overall responsibility for the management of the finances and resources of the company.
- To line manage staff as specified in the line management structure, leading an effective team of staff and volunteers to deliver the company’s Mission and the operation of its day to day activities.
- To have overall responsibility for administering all contractual relationships entered into by the company, and for all relevant matters of legal compliance.
The Board are clear that strong and purposeful leadership is vital to our continued growth and success, our ability to thrive and to meet the wishes of our customers, staff, funders and trustees.
If you have the following essential experience then apply for a full application pack.
- Senior-level organisational, strategic planning and people leadership
- Strong track record of theatre /arts venue management
- Artistic programming and commissioning
- Financial management
- Grant application writing
- Public and media relations
Please complete the application pack below and apply to email@example.com
Closing date November 4th
Interviews scheduled for 10th 11th November