Kimmel Center for the performing arts
Department: Facilities & Operations, Production, Kimmel Center
Reports to: Director of Production
The Kimmel Center, Inc. is seeking a highly experienced Production Manager for Verizon, the premier performance hall in Philadelphia, and the home of the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Philly Pops. This position is primarily responsible for the Production-related planning, creation, and execution of safe and efficient operations for events in Verizon Hall at The Kimmel Center. The individual in this position is one member of a close-knit team of managers who support the Director of Production in oversight of Production Operations at The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, Merriam Theater, the Philadelphia Academy of Music, and at various off campus sites.
- Plan and supervise backstage operations in a high volume, multidisciplinary performance space with an exclusively organized labor workforce.
- Assist with planning and coordination of maintenance and renovation projects.
- Collaborate effectively with KCI colleagues, Resident Companies, Independent Presenters, and visiting designers and artists to plan, budget, and realize events on the KCI campus.
- Responsible for effective intake and communication of event information, preparation of cost estimates, and preparation of post-event settlements.
- Coordinate and provide direct supervision of space, materials, and organized labor needs for resident company, independent presenter, and Kimmel Center Presents events.
- Understand and administer IATSE and Teamsters CBA’s and resident company license agreements.
- Proactively interface with House Management, Security, Volunteers, and other Facilities Operations team members.
- Interface as needed with KCI Facility Sales, Sales and Marketing, Development, Education, and in-house catering teams.
- Act as liaison with presenters, resident companies, and outside event planners.
- Performance, rehearsal, and event coverage including evenings and weekends depending on performance schedule, across KCI campus.
- Provide support to colleagues in Production Department including fellow managers and Director of Production.
- Continually seek to improve the quality of presentation, physical plant, and environmental safety for employees and guests on the KCI campus.
- Refined production, administrative and organizational skills.
- The ability to interact effectively with, and clearly communicate information to, a wide range of persons both within the organization and without.
- The ability to attend to numerous projects concurrently, establish priorities, and respond positively, effectively, and quickly to continually shifting priorities and needs.
- A strong technical background with a depth of understanding in sound reinforcement, theatrical lighting, rigging, staging, orchestral practices, and integrated video systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in technical theater or equivalent experience required
- Minimum of five years of experience in Production Management in a similar environment required
- Minimum of five years of experience in supporting/production work for orchestras required; alternatively, training as a classical musician and understanding of orchestras’ operations and music may be substituted
- Demonstrable experience with organized labor collective bargaining agreements including IATSE houses required; experience working with Teamsters a plus
- Experience with multi-disciplinary art forms required.
- Experience in both presenting as well as producing theater organizations
Environment, Physical demands, and other conditions:
- Ability to stand, climb, walk up to 5 hours and use repetitive motions.
- Ability to lift, push, and move up to 50 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this position the employee will be required to work indoors, outdoors, and in intermittently noisy spaces.
- Work schedule may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Work schedule will include activity across and occasionally off Kimmel Center Campus.
To apply for this position, send your cover letter and resume to Kimmel Center Human Resources:
Kimmel Center, Inc.
1500 Walnut Street, 17th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102