Website New England Philharmonic
The New England Philharmonic is seeking a music director who has a vision for fulfilling its Mission to engage and electrify audiences in performances of contemporary classical music in concert with traditional pieces that complement and inform the contemporary.
The New England Philharmonic, a 44-year-old Boston-based volunteer orchestra, performs at least four full orchestra performances each season. In addition to a number of professionals, its musicians include many graduates of conservatory and university music programs who play with the New England Philharmonic for the joy of performance and the satisfaction of developing their skills as musicians, including through tackling many challenging recent compositions that have rarely if ever been performed or recorded.
The New England Philharmonic fosters and promotes the development and performance of new music, in the context of concert programs that also include more traditional repertoire.
- The preponderance of its repertoire is 20th and 21st century works, including many Boston, U.S. and world premieres.
- It has a Composer-in-Residence, currently Eric Nathan, and conducts an international Call for Scores annually.
The New England Philharmonic builds young and new audiences.
- It conducts a Young Artist Competition each Fall for teen-age musicians in the Boston area, and its Chamber Players offer programs to introduce children to the families of instruments.
- The NEP Chamber Players also conceive unique, innovative programs to complement the collections and initiatives of Boston area arts institutions.
Music Director Responsibilities
The Music Director is responsible for the fulfillment of the orchestra’s Mission and artistic potential, reporting to the Board of Directors.
The Music Director is responsible for the repertoire, programming, and artistic production, and for the selection, development, and composition of the orchestra, subject to any relevant policies established by the Board of Directors.
As artistic leader, the Music Director must build and sustain the orchestra’s visibility and involvement in the community, and is expected to work closely with the manager, staff, and board president in carrying out these responsibilities.
RequirementsMusic Director Qualifications
- Particular competence in and advocate for modern and contemporary music within the broad range of classical orchestral repertoire;
- Experience in developing imaginative programming, using diverse repertoire, and exploring a variety of directions in music-making;
- Musical and personal leadership skills, including ability to motivate and elicit the best efforts of musicians learning challenging and unfamiliar repertory;
- Awareness of current performance practice and sensitivity to the changing role of orchestras and modes of performance;
- Ability to inspire and communicate musically and orally with audiences both on and off the stage;
- Appreciation for the non-profit status of the organization and willingness to collaborate with the orchestra staff, general manager, and board as part of the management team and operate within budgetary limits;
- Willingness to represent the orchestra in the life of the community, support fundraising, and participate in the promotional endeavors of the orchestra;
- Able to commit to an early September through early May weekly rehearsal schedule with a minimum of four full orchestra performances annually, all in Boston.
- The application deadline is October 1, 2020.
- Please submit confidential applications by email to email@example.com. Each application should include the following attachments in pdf format:
- Letter of interest, including the applicant’s mailing address, email, and phone number
- Artistic resume, including educational training — schools and degrees
- Sample programs programmed and conducted by the applicant
- Links to unedited audio or video recordings of rehearsals and performances or CDs conducted by the applicant
- Three references, including at least two from musicians, with contact information — names, email addresses, phone numbers, and locations
Finalists will be scheduled to conduct a full cycle of rehearsals and a full subscription concert in the 2021-22 season.
The New England Philharmonic is an equal opportunity employer.