Greenwich Symphony Orchestra
MUSIC DIRECTOR/CONDUCTOR The Greenwich Symphony Orchestra (GSO) is searching for our next Music Director/Conductor to lead our orchestra in Fairfield County, CT.
ABOUT THE GREENWICH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA Founded in 1958, the GSO currently
performs ten series concerts and three educational series per year. The GSO regularly features its own musicians and often engages solo artists of international acclaim. These have recently included pianists John O’Conor and Jon Nakamatsu and violinists Elmar Oliveira, James Buswell, and Aaron Rosand. The GSO has 72 professional musicians on its roster and is supported by an active and committed 25- member Board of Directors.
- Provide artistic vision and musical leadership as conductor, artistic director, and community arts leader for a professional orchestra with $500K annual budget
- Conduct series and other performances
- Guide the choice of program repertoire and selection of guest soloists that provides cultural andeducational value and engages the community
- Develop long-range artistic plans for the orchestra in conjunction with the Board of Directors
- Participate in and support fundraising and community engagement
- Present demonstrations, lectures, or master classes in schools and the community
- Assist in the general promotion of the orchestra by being available for public appearances and media interviews
- Assist in development and capital campaigns QUALIFICATIONS:The successful candidate shall be a consummate musician who possesses:
- A graduate music degree with experience conducting a professional orchestra
- A thorough knowledge of orchestral repertoire and styles
- An expressed commitment to creating and building a diverse community of music lovers
- A commitment to innovative and engaging programming
- Ability to design and present inspiring educational programs
- Familiarity with fundraising and donor stewardship in the context of fine arts
- Readiness and ability to serve as the public face of the organization and a strong desire to engage with the community
- Strong interpersonal, leadership, and communication skills
The Music Director/Conductor reports to the Board of Directors
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications
Complete applications will include:
- a letter of interest
- an artistic résumé
- links to videos of conducting of contrasting repertoire
- unedited audio recordings of rehearsals and concerts
- sample programs from the past two years of concerts in which you served as conductor or artistic advisor
- a repertoire list
- three references, at least two of which must be from musiciansNo phone inquiries, please. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please submit these in PDF format to: GSOmusicdirectorsearch@gmail.com
March 15, 2020
Applications will be kept confidential until selections for finalists take place. Finalists will be selected for a concert series during the 2021-2022 concert season.
GSO is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and complies with all applicable federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws.
Greenwich Symphony Orchestra PO Box 35 Greenwich, CT 06836 203.869.2664