SUMMARY: Provides administrative support to Head of Music Staff & Associate Director of Artistic Planning and manages the Company Library. Assures well-functioning and easily accessible library and archives for staff.
- Provides direct assistance to staff and artists with information regarding use of company library materials.
- Assists individuals in accessing archives for in-house research, director review, rental inquiries and public relations.
- Monitors use of library and archival material circulation.
- Maintains a complete set of audio and visual media archives of past productions.
- Acquires audio and visual recordings, scores, and other library materials, as needed.
- In coordination with Orchestra Librarian, arranges for the timely arrival and return of all library materials to publishers or storage.
- Maintains adequate supply of show materials such as piano vocal/chorus scores and libretti and study materials to staff and artists.
- Prepare and distribute piano/vocal music, cut list and/or text information directly to SO staff, artistic team members, chorus and principal singers, etc., per contract deadlines.
- Distributes Labor and Management Meeting minutes upon approval.
- Assists the Head of Music Staff with all communications to the orchestra and chorus.
- Assures the timely and accurate communication of orchestra and chorus individual show rosters to Production, PR, HR and Accounting groups
- Prepares and archives pit plots and provides orchestra set-up information to technical staff.
- Maintains the Music roadbox and library supplies.
- Attends all orchestra rehearsal services and assists with chorus rehearsal services as assigned by the Head of Music Staff.
- As directed, coordinates mainstage auditions, open chorus auditions, and chorus evaluations.
- Maintains up-to-date chorus personnel files.
- Maintains chorus attendance on a per show basis.
- Generates chorus payroll bi-weekly.
- Distributes rehearsal schedules, production information, and other communications to orchestra and chorus as needed, in a timely manner.
- Support and participate in events for other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Direct report to Associate Director of Artistic Planning with secondary reporting to Head of Music Staff. Works to uphold company objectives requiring good judgment and a proactive approach. Receives ongoing direct supervision.
Seattle Opera offers medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, short term disability, EAP, transit/parking benefits. Pay range for this position is $21-$25/hour.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter detailing relevant experience, with Music Assistant and Company Librarian in the subject line.
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail. Background and experience in computer applications with specific knowledge of Excel, Word, and Filemaker. Knowledge of database applications is desired. Understanding of the culture and production requirements specific to an opera or theatrical company and knowledge of standard library procedures, current information technology, Internet and database search capabilities preferred.
Two to three years of experience with a professional performing arts organization preferred. Bachelor of Music/Arts or relevant experience. Experience in Library Science or Library and Information Science (MLS/MLIS) desirable. Ability to read music is a plus.
Work requires some evening and weekend work as well as a flexible day time schedule in order to meet business and operational requirements. Must be able to lift and carry bags of books or boxes weighing up to 30 pounds. In order to perform essential functions, ability to independently transport self and any materials needed is required.