Website Jacksonville Symphony
The Manager of Music Education & Community Engagement is an important member of the education and community engagement (ECE) team, which creates and produces innovative educational programs rooted in symphonic music. The Manager assists in the planning and implementation of all ECE initiatives and programs, with special emphasis on managing our largest program, the Jacksonville Symphony Youth Orchestras, encompassing six separate ensembles serving students and families from across Jacksonville and surrounding counties.
The Manager is responsible for the timely on-site operation of JSYO rehearsals, concerts, and other ECE events, and the movement of materials which may include music, small instruments, reception supplies, and other items. The Manager maintains department records and serves as an important point of connection and source of information for a variety of stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be a creative problem solver who is highly organized, communicative, detail-oriented, and able to maintain composure in a busy environment with many projects and timelines. A passion for and experience in the performing arts is essential.
- Manage the logistical planning and on-site operation of all JSYO events including retreats, orientations, rehearsals, performances, and receptions. All ensembles rehearse on Sunday afternoons, and a full on-site workday is required, generally late morning through early evening.
- Coordinate the smooth flow of logistical information and work with key personnel including stage crew in managing concert logistics, stage plots, and other information.
- Manage the JSYO calendar and tracking of student attendance records.
- Formulate promotional strategies to attract and recruit JSYO participants; oversee the audition and admission process, monitor participant payments, and ensure that records are properly updated and current.
- Interact with Jacksonville Symphony musicians and schedule musicians for student coachings and sectional rehearsals as needed, and coordinate musician payments.
- Purchase, produce and distribute musical parts to all participants; manage the JSYO music library.
- Serve as primary liaison to all students and families participating in JSYO programs; serve as primary operational contact with external partners including Florida State College at Jacksonville.
Other ECE and Symphony Programs
- Assist in the planning, production, and tracking of all ECE programs, including Students at the Symphony, Communities in Schools, Civic Orchestra, and other programs.
- Create and maintain updated databases of students, alumni, coaches, parents, schools, vendors, and other contacts.
- Coordinate with educators and facilitate creation and production of supporting curricular materials distributed to students prior to select educational performances.
- Participate in rotation of concert assignment in a variety of front or back of house roles.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Director of Music Education and Community Engagement as needed.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Experience in managing operational logistics in a musical or performing arts setting, with emphasis on managing multiple overlapping projects, priorities, and partner relationships.
- Familiarity with instrumental music and knowledge of creating and organizing parts and performance materials.
- Ability to professionally and diplomatically represent ECE programs with a wide range of stakeholders including students and parents, musicians and staff, stage crew, and external partners.
- Ability to work independently. Position requires a variable schedule with a combination of daytime, evening and weekend hours.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with the ability to quickly learn other relevant applications.
- Four Year Degree preferred.