Website The Cleveland Orchestra (Musical Arts Association)
Since its founding the orchestra has developed and refined it artistry under the guidance of world-renowned directors from George Szell to its current Music Director Franz Welser-Möst in his seventeenth season. A year-round season was established in 1968 with the opening of Blossom Music Center, on one the most beautiful and acoustically admired outdoor concert facilities in the United States. The Musical Arts Association (MAA) owns and operates The Cleveland Orchestra, Severance Hall and Blossom Music Center.
Today, The Cleveland Orchestra is comprised of more than 100 full-time professional musicians. In addition to a robust concert season, the Orchestra is dedicated to creative and innovative educational and community- based programming and initiatives to spark lifelong interest and involvement in music. In 2010, the Orchestra established The Center for Future Audiences with a $20 million grant from the Maltz Family Foundation to cultivate new generations of audiences for The Cleveland Orchestra concerts in Northeast Ohio and most recently, received $1 million from the Haslam Family Foundation towards support for educational programs.
The Director of Orchestra Operations
The Director of Operations exemplifies the principals of The Cleveland Orchestra brand and standards for excellence in all interactions with musicians, staff, vendors, patrons, donors, and all other internal/external constituencies. This position reports to the Senior Director of Operations and Venues and provides supervisory leadership to the Tour Manager, Production Manager, and stagehands.
The incumbent is responsible for multi-tasking, balancing priorities, and problem-solving at a strategic level, while preserving and supporting the artistic integrity of The Cleveland Orchestra and Franz Welser-Möst. The Director of Operations leads and manages the internal operations necessary to support the effective and efficient production of all Cleveland Orchestra activities, including CBA compliance, concert production, staged productions, domestic and international touring, as well as media initiatives.
- Support the effective and efficient operation of The Cleveland Orchestra and Severance Hall.
- Facilitate and oversee preparation of information for production meetings. Lead the discussion of technical and logistic plans for all Cleveland Orchestra activities in Severance Hall and at Blossom.
- Oversee and manage the organization/facilitation of tours and runouts.
- Responsible for managing back of house concert duty schedules and processes.
- Knows when to ask questions, is a confident decision maker, and is quick on their feet.
- Serve as the primary liaison in conjunction with the Venues & Events Department on all matters concerning Severance Hall and Blossom activities.
- Work with artistic and orchestra personnel to provide oversight of all artistic operations.
- Enforce compliance with policies, processes, procedures and internal controls pertaining to all aspects of the Operations department.
- Provide input and research in union labor negotiations for the orchestra and stagehands trade agreements. Ensure operational compliance with union agreements.
- Serve as system administrator for Arts Vision and ensure accuracy of database information.
- Approve and audit stagehand payroll data and submit to finance/payroll for processing.
- Manage the inventory and maintenance of MAA (Musical Arts Association)-owned instruments and equipment.
- Provide leadership, support and direction to direct reports.
- Act as primary liaison with the musicians’ Travel Committee.
- Assist the Senior Director of Operations & Venues as assigned.
- Prepare and manage production budgets and forecasts totaling nearly $5 million.
- Produce staged productions including but not limited to opera, ballet, and collaborations.
- Produce all Cleveland Orchestra concerts, runouts, special events, etc.
- Oversee the comprehensive logistical planning of domestic and international tours, including cross- departmental events such as fundraising, education, executive, and artistic initiatives.
- Ensure institutional ticket needs with tour presenters.
- Ensure compliance with trade agreement and national media agreements.
- Produce commercial/local audio and audio-visual releases (i.e.: CD, DVD, internet).
- Manage Electronic Media Guarantee (EMG) tracking.
- Secure synchronization, mechanical, and publishing licenses for commercial releases.
- Collaborate with media partner organizations to manage radio and local television broadcasts.
- Provide management oversight of electronic media projects and payments.
- Ensure necessary rights and clearances for all broadcasts.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA preferred.
- 5+ years of experience working for an orchestra with touring experience; extensive knowledge of orchestral, opera and chamber repertoires.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills are required.
- Superior planning and organizational skills along with a high attention to detail is essential.
- Ability to handle emergencies, prioritize projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to collaborate in a team environment across the institution to achieve overall goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop positive working relationships both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated independent, mature judgment.
- Ability to consistently maintain a professional image and demeanor, especially in stressful situations.
- Must be able to approach operational needs creatively, accurately and quickly to resolve problems and achieve successful outcomes within a larger organizational context.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and able to learn and use various database and planning software.
- Experience with domestic touring is important and international touring is a plus.
- Must have a valid passport and be able to travel locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Financial acumen.
- Strong and proven experience with implementing and managing complex budgets for operations and touring.