Website National Repertory Orchestra
The Director of Operations and Education is responsible for the overall logistics of the National Repertory Orchestra, including the areas of orchestra management, artist relations, production, audio, music library, and community engagement and the organization of education events for NRO fellows and the community.
The position oversees the selection and seating of the orchestra, the operational requirements for all services, support for musicians, and educational activities related to the orchestra, community engagement and school/afterschool programs. The position also assists the CEO as assigned, to support the Strategic Plan and other aspects of development, marketing, and event planning. The DOE serves as a key member of the interface with the Town of Breckenridge, Breckenridge Creative Arts, Summit County Schools, other community leadership organizations, and other arts organizations. In the summer, the position provides supervisory leadership to a 14-member team of operations managers and fellows.
This year-round position offers a competitive salary, healthcare, retirement benefits and merit-based bonus opportunities.
The National Repertory Orchestra is an eight-week summer music festival offering approximately 21 orchestra performances, over 30 community engagement performances and 10-15 educational programs.
The application deadline is Friday, November 6, 2020.
- Have strong leadership qualities to direct all operations and education activities with history in a leadership position.
- Be a self-starter with a minimum of five years of experience in orchestral and/or music festival positions with a proven track record in managing staff and a busy production calendar.
- Have extensive experience in education initiatives.
- Be familiar with OPAS and other software programs including Microsoft Office and Accept’d.
- Have supervisory experience running a national audition.
- Have experience managing operations staff, budget, personnel, front of house and back of house activities.
- Experience in working successfully with staff and a Board of Trustees.
- Manage national audition process, including:
- Communicate with all applicants and serve as primary contact for musician inquiries and questions.
- Manage musician admissions, contracts and enrollment.
- Understand the USA VISA process to help fellows with their applications.
- Manage the season calendar (OPAS), including managing access and data input.
- Oversee the summer music festival operations staff to perform the following:
- Manage the day-to-day operations for the festival.
- Manage guest conductor and artist relations.
- Assist in the reviewing of contracts for guest conductors and guest artists as necessary.
- Manage the comprehensive logistical planning of orchestra runouts.
- Manage concert show-flow, coordinating with production, front of house, and volunteer ushers.
- Manage the contracting of external rehearsal spaces, charter buses, and auxiliary instrument rentals.
- Manage equipment usage, including that owned by NRO, Summit School District, Breck Music, and rentals.
- Provide day-of-show assistance as needed.
- Assist in all year-round special events.
- Oversee the year-round educational programs and events including:
- Masterclasses, seminars and mock auditions
- Be a key liaison with Summit County School District
- Create and implement a core curriculum-based program for Summit County Schools using best practices for education and engagement
- Hire and work with outside consultants to create and implement meaningful programming
- Hire, train, lead and motivate the summer operations team to a high standard of excellence.
- Act as a final arbitrator for summer operations personnel issues.
- Lead weekly summer operations meetings.
- Participate and manage, as directed by the CEO, the implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Advise leadership on organizational needs, trends, and best practices for long-range planning.
- Develop, as assigned by the CEO, policies needed for the successful management of the NRO.
- Help evaluate projects, as directed by the CEO to improve the delivery of the festival season.
- Participate in the development of new methods, programming, performance, education activities, etc. to advance the NRO’s mission creating expansion activities including new proposals.
- Assist Director of Development in fundraising activities.
- Interface with community leaders, local politicians and key supporters for the benefit of the NRO, as assigned by the CEO.
- Advise in marketing efforts for audition tour.
- Communicate program information and changes to Director of Marketing.
- Develop a budget and long-term plan for orchestra equipment.
- Coordinate with the Director of Finance and CEO to establish the budget for operations and education initiatives.
- Manage the operations and education budget.
- Participate in the development of the annual budget and be involved in financial decision making for the NRO as appropriate.
The National Repertory Orchestra is a national leader for preparing young musicians for future careers in music. Graduates are often the most desirable candidates for placement in professional musical organizations worldwide. As a result, music audiences, educators, professionals, applicants, and supporters are inspired to participate in the NRO’s innovative approach to educational and experiential programming. We believe in, “Changing Lives Through Music!”